Thursday, June 6, 2013

Not Tonight


Her eyes were real.
No contact lenses
to change the color.
I had learned to tell.

Her face was pretty,
but all the layers
of cosmetic modification
had created the illusion.

I did not reject her,
only the deception
of the amendments
and augmentation.

There was something
very vital about her
that I sought because
I knew it was still real.

Was she as brave as
to invite me home
to see unveiled truth
in the morning light?

Had I not been talking
to the false goddess.
Beneath the makeup
was someone else


Even if we parted,
I knew I'd think of her,
sometimes and wonder,
who was she, really?

She waved her hand
whether to draw
my attention or
cast a magic spell.

You think you're in love.
I think I'm attracted
to the fantasy,
Nothing more.

Maybe that's all it is.
I think I could love
someone else, though.
Who is the real you?

Sorry if I've wasted your time.
But I'm not sure we can.
Maybe we can be the fantasy,
but it won't happen, not tonight.

1 comment: