Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Just Keep It


You've made me wonder
about some things.
Could I be as worthless
as you seem to think?
Am I the ticking time bomb for
others to maintain safe distance.

As you wait to unleash
jealous, venomous tirades,
self-righteous and sanctimonious
in your hypocrisy,
what is it in your safe harbor
that you fear so much?

In your conception of reality,
I am the full-grown prodigal orphan,
the only son of our dysfunctional clan
who is intent on leeching
everything you've squirreled.

You gave up your dream.
I found mine once again.
You continue pretense but to what end -
more of the same subservience
to the lord all-mighty greenback
and your various investments?

You worship daily,
trembling in fear of losing
everything you've saved.
I can't be like you,
walking in the shadow
of your empty example.

Without fear of poverty,
I know how to survive.
You could have just said no.
But you elaborated,
and pontificated,
forcing your advice.

The request for assistance,
not a grant and certainly
expecting no longwinded lecture
on self-reliance,
integrity and responsibility.
I needed none of that.

So, forget I called.
I'll ignore your questions.
What is holiest to thou,
I want you to keep.
Maintain close at hand
all your worthless paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment